The Perils of Parenthood

Its a known fact. Parenting is one of the hardest things in the world, and single parenting - lets not even start on that! But that is exactly what I am going to be doing here. List down all those times and all those things that I find so difficult to cope with being on my own face to face with a 13 year old monster! (who incidentally happens to be my only child.)


Hmmm where do I start? Is there a specific thing that I find particularly difficult? How about "studying" I mean making my child to do his homework and study for his tests and midterms. What exactly is the issue here? why is it that the minute I ask him to do his school work, he - gets suddenly very very hungry, or gets a stomach ache and has to rush to the bathroom, or, the most irritating of all, he tries to explain that the teacher didn't really mean this work or that reading - He tries to make me a monkey out of me (his obviously silly mother) that the teacher did not ask him to read the book! of course not,(why the hell would she expect that now) he just has to write a book report! and since when reading the damn book is a prerequisite for writing about it?


Then with a child like mine who is social beyond anything! He wants friends and he wants company, he wants action and he wants things happenings - and that too 24/7, food to be ordered in, friends to be hung about, some kind of 'program' brewing constantly -let's see - now its to see the dead whale marooned at sea view, or to ride the go-carts there, or if all else fails, to go have ice-cream, buy donuts, get Mcdonalds, oe KFC or roll, or whatnot! Now this requires tons and tons of patience in me, I let him be but! there has to be a limit. And there has to be a limit to his spending! (of course, alarm bells ringing all around me, I can see a crowd of very perfect parents pointing fingers at me!!!!) It is so easy to say and advice on how to raise children as long as they not your own! Other people know, to the tee, how to raise my son for me, hell! then why don't they do it and present the finished product to me all perfect, that's a nice thought and a certainly welcome one from most parents hounded by ruthless monsters errr,,, sorry children. If you discipline your child they want you to go soft, if you indulge them then of course you're spoiling them rotten, if you take good care of them you are bloody paranoid, if you leave them be, you are negligent and not maternal!!!! The whole tirade is so frustrating, if you make sure he follows a routine and you are unavailable to others you're termed a jailer and too tight-fisted, if you allow him relative freedom you haven't a clue what he's up to. So I say the heck with everyone, I will bring up my child the way I want to and the others can very well do the same!!!!!


Comments

  1. This, I guess is how a blog's supposed to look like.. Took me two years to get that... I thought you had something against me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment