TO FAST OR NOT TO FAST?




Is kind of a metaphysical question...seriously it is a consequential one to say the least for a woman who starts to feel deeply, madly and truly insecure without her constant fills of water, peppered by smoldering cups of tea, I say take everything from me, all my sleep, all the delectable of sweets and choicest of dishes, but keep giving me my ice cold water and hot cups of tea - talk about literally blowing hot and cold!

I have made a decision. I am resolved to keep all my rozas, for, if I fail in this most basic of my duty as a Muslim then what example am I setting for my child? Why must he miss the bliss of Ramazan, the excitement of getting up for sehri and the waiting impatiently for iftari just because I am too lazy and greedy? No, never... I want him to have the same experiences or close to them, as I had growing up in a Muslim home.

More than religious, rozas are also a cultural thing, the rituals, the deep feeling of piety, the brotherhood and camaraderie of fasting, of postponing our basic needs is an excellent lesson in character building. I realize that besides pleasing your Allah, the roza is molding our personalities to a great extent, teaching us to wait, to be quite of our needs, to not be too vocal about every single physical need of ours.

So, God, I pray for the strength to keep all my fasts and without as much as a single complaint....amen

Comments