AM I OBSESSED?? AM I?




REALLY obsessed with hating men, constantly deriding them, hurling insults at them, poking fun at them, ridiculing them? huh?

I don't know. I could very well be, but since when is airing your views and opinions freely a sign of obsession? Am I not allowed to say it as I think it is? Am I bereft of this foremost and fundamental right to free speech? It seems that decorum and hypocrisy bars us from stating things as we feel and observe them. My reflections on all things MALE are garnered from my own experiences, they do not come with a tag of true or false. There are few things in this world that are true, and they are most false sounding and fictitious of all. I have spent a large chunk of my life working along with what I refer to a as the 'typical' PAKISTANI MAN if there is such an animal. This man is an embodiment of our culture, our society and represents in a nutshell what it is to be born a male in this warped society, and how one's own vision of self is duly warped and skewed by such an upbringing and surrounding.

A man is born in this society with a heavy burden on his tiny shoulders, he is a man and all his life he must prove to be one. What that elusive being is? is beyond the reach of any normal human being. So, to say, every man is born and raised with an assurance of failure. He knows from his childhood that so much is expected of him, such herculean tasks are his fate that he is set up for failure. In his heart of heart he knows that all what he is supposed to accomplish is well beyond him, yet he has to earn the right to be the hero to his near and dear ones! This sense of assured failure makes him put on a mask, a robe of assumed success! if he isn't so great in real, hell! he pretends to be so and that is where the ego comes into play.

I think it must be hard to be a man with all the subtle pressures to prove yourself at all times, but, I also feel that instead of recognizing the roles we have assigned to males/females we just fall into the trap and try to live them. Even if men are raised with this self-importance, why cannot they take a step back and understand it for what it is and not delude themselves by actually buying into the stereotypes. Every man is just full of himself to the extent of being a bore and a pain. I mean why can't for once they act human, normal and not stay perched on some imagined throne in the air.


hmmmmm, time to OBSESS about something else......

Comments

Post a Comment