Of Migraines and other Monstrosities.


Migraines just don't happen. They arrive. You know from days before something is awry, wrong, u get an uncanny feeling of impending doom, of Armageddon, of the world coming apart at the seams.

They announce their coming by waves of nausea and depression. Life suddenly becomes burdensome, light starts to hurt, u want to hide, literally and figuratively. The taste of everything changes, tea tastes like lead, heavy and oily. Water chokes, as if the body itself rejects every life giving thing. Food? Ugh! u simply don't want any, it loses its appeal its aroma, it taste inducing properties and becomes a chore, a necessity. The head feels like a rock, hard and stiff. At times, one side throbs as if a hammer is being pounded inside it, ripping it apart, at other times there is ring of constricting pain around the whole upper head and blinking, looking and moving your head equals torture of medieval days.

I get visited by these demonic spells every few months. You don't have a clue as to when the next attack would come or what would trigger it, all you can do is wait or rather tremble at the thought of impending disaster.

And this isn't all! people who suffer from migraines usually get tension headaches, which of course is another class of third degree torture. They come unannounced, without herald and aplomb, without notice, taking one by total surprise. If its isn't the slow lulling in of a MIGRAINE then its the sudden attack of a tension headache. They settle around the temple and the eyes, anguish is the fate of the person suffering. The headache may last as long as it wants or rather as long as you have the tension, but, wait, there's more, these aches don't happen when you're tense and stressed to the core, they hit you when you are beginning to relax after the tension finally withers away!!!! So headache sufferers have no respite and no peace.

What exactly is the reason these headaches rock your world every now and then on whim? No one knows and no one will be the wiser, that pisses me off so much! You suffer and writhe in pain for days on and you don't even get the chance of analyzing your whole life trying to blame other people for these monstrosities. I personally feel doubly cheated, if I must be agonized then at least give me a solid chance to complain, bewail, and bemoan my restless state and blame the past, my parents, my teachers, my deprived childhood, my friends, my siblings, my repressed memories, my complexes and whatever thing that may have contributed to my pain!

Comments