And I Thought I could never FORGIVE




I read a very interesting article tonight. It talks about forgiveness - that it isn't a feeling, it's something you do. How brilliantly simple and fantastic this thought is, the author goes on to say that since the idea of justice is tied up with the concept of punishment it becomes imperative for the one who has been grossly wronged to avenge himself to feel at ease with himself. But what we don't realize is that this evokes an unstoppable journey to a cycle of hate and violence.

I have scores to settle of my own, lessons to be taught to those who have harmed me deeply, avenge my wounds and then and only then will I feel at peace or will I?

I have dreams of justice served. I have dreams of people being punished for what they did to me, I can list all the wrongs done to me and I can recall every harm ever done to me especially with no apparent fault of mine. I want heavens to break loose, the skies to fall and my wrong-doers put in their place, punished, avenged, and somehow placed repentant in front of me begging my forgiveness and then in my magnanimous way I let them go, I become the bigger person while they live with deep regret and pain all through eternity, (yes my dreams are a breed apart).

I find it hard to forgive; we all feel that way. So what is the solution? All those high and mighty injunctions on forgiveness seem a little impossible to achieve in ordinary life. Our religion, our society, our own consciences tells us we should let go of grudges. That easing our burden of resentments, hates and animosities would make life richer and happier. But how do we get to the ACT of forgiveness, to put into practice mercy, and grant absolution to those who have served us poorly, who have wounded us. 

Even if the task seems daunting we ought to give it a try.




Comments