Does Ishq exit?




Image result for madness of love
Is there such a thing? I mean seriously? does true love exist? the malady, the junoon, which the poets in Urdu call 'Isqh' and 'Pyaar', does it dwell in its pure form in this world?

I feel I'm treading on sensitive ground here, I better be careful with my musings, my ever so present and usually glum opinions and saucy comments. What I may feel about the subject in question today is irrelevant, for once, I want to know what others feel about it. Do they hold that there does exist a true and higher love? or do more of us have pragmatic, practical view on feelings of affection and understanding and claim that that eventually is love. There are multitudes of definitions of love, probably as many as there are people, we all feel and define love our own way. But, one thing is agreed by all, that there is such a thing, albeit, intangible that qualifies as love. We all claim to have felt love, either by being loved or loving another, of course there is unconditional love seen all through nature like the legendary love of a mother for her child, but here my focus is what we call romantic love.

Does romantic love actually exist? Is there pure emotion for a erstwhile stranger that can drive one to give up one life also? Are the love legends of yesteryears that abound cultural lore bear witness to an essential facet of being human? Is the story of Majnun's love for Laila, merely a story or is it harping to some inner cadence to our essence. Are the 'myths' of love tapping into essentially a human condition and need recognized and desired by us all, perhaps not achieved by all in this meager life of ours.

I don't know, like so many other things I have no clue of, but one thing I know of is, I have experienced something of this magical spark, or should I call it the burning fire depending on what I am feeling at the time of recounting. It is a moment of exhilaration, of total self-escape, of complete denial of ego if that is ever a possibility in this constrained and bound existence, it is a flight of soul. Do I sound poetic? well, of course I do, for there isn't another way to describe emotions and feelings that reach beyond emotions and feelings. When we transcend who we are, when we leave the thought of 'I' and subsume the thought of 'we' love begins and starts and maybe it even elevates to higher planes
if we is then elevated to 'you' the object of love. When another becomes more important to us than ourselves.

Now this falls flat in the face of 'live for yourself' theory of today's world, of 'me-time' of 'looking-out' for yourself and not letting others walk all over you, and valuing you and cherishing you. Granted, all that is true and valuable in its place, but love is unquestionable.

A word of caution here though, lest I am taken wrong. Please, love is not possessiveness and jealousy, neither is manifested in aggression and violence, nor do you have to get it validated by a third person. You know it when its there, and you know it even more so when its isn't, so stop fooling yourself and find some true love.... or at least let the false one go.....






Comments