New Year's Eve - and the big deal is....??????


I want to know honestly, what is the excitement about ushering in the new year? Are we really that forgetful and naive to believe that a few resolutions and a couple of changes in the dates would actually make a difference to the days of our lives? Or, is it basically a reversion to an instinctual and evolutionary belief in us which attunes us to new zodiac alignments and movements of the stars and constellations. I don't know, come fag end of year I am exhausted, and this year to top it off, I have a massive headache, my stomach hurts (and no I haven't over eaten), and I am just so over-dosed on people wishing me happy new year.... hell, what's so F**#$@ happy about it in the first place? as far as I can see, and with my glasses on I can see pretty far! all seems the same to me, so what's the hullabaloo about? Why are we such angrez wanna be's, we all want to do what they do, as if its the ultimate!

I know all of you must be jumping up and down your seats trying to defend your personal and individual freedom to celebrate what occasion you want and certainly all power to you, I salute to that freedom - but then by the authority of the same freedom I can say what I want to! I am hardly the one to pontificate and sermonize, and hell claim me first if I start to do that in this year of the devil (isn't 13 the devil's number?), but I am so sick of people wishing me and each other new years, and hello, please spare me the stock texts on the phone with wishes for the country and god knows what not!!!!! My question is aren't all new years the same? the same sunset, the same night, the same sunrise the next morning?

I have no patience left any more lets, put it this way. When there is pandemonium in the state, when life is cheap and every day the deaths of random people killed is related as a 'score' - then there is something awfully terrible about the place - where the rich and the influential can literally get away with murder, where stopping at a signal is next to losing your life, where hungry eyes and desperate faces hunt you down, where poor malnourished children are running up and down the streets begging and cleaning your wind screens for scraps of money, where transvestites have no recourse but demean themselves to earn a living, where essentials are beyond the reach of a common man, where college graduates are doing manual labour, where politics of nepotism is the order of the day, where religion is used as a crutch and means to an end, where children are more familiar with terms such as Klashnikovs, grenades, bombs, explosions, target-killings, where sectarian violence is so acceptable, where half of the population is busy claiming the other half non-muslims with fatwas and counter fatwas, where maulvis of one masjid will die than pray behind that of another masjid, where we hang our women for being bloody impertinent by liking someone, where women are seen and believed to chattels of men to be treated as any other property, where educated women get beaten up and abused and have no place to turn to, where divorce is still considered a stigma, where our older generations are losing respect and veneration, where we mistreat animals, and mistreat people who have the misfortune to work for us, where we have the audacity to think we are the chosen people of the god, where we think we have all the answers when we haven't even begun to ask the questions.... I ask you, where.... then do we have the freedom and the liberty and the time and the luxury and the sheer courage and the insolence and meanness to celebrate NEW YEARS EVE????

Comments