Journal entry No.25,25/Mar/2012




Was our childhood different from the experiences of our children's? Of course, we grew up in the 70's and 80's and the world was a different place altogether. I remember playing in the sun all afternoon (and getting screamed at for that by my mother) and actually wondering how could people sleep in the day! I loved to wander all over the garden, or teach a class of some real naughty imaginary students that needed to be yelled at frequently, and all this time mimicking my teachers. Then it was playing house, where we'd make a house with tying up sheets to furniture and then pretending we run the place. I also remember playing tag and running like crazy in the garden, or going out which was rare for ice-cream or coke. Our lives revolved around the home, the garden and some close cousins and friends, it was a limited circle with limited needs and wants, we didn't know of the things the kids today take in stride. What my school friend's dad did was none of my concern, where they lived or what car they drove was something totally alien, where we lived or how also didn't really figure much. Whether we had vacations yearly or not wasn't a thing to ponder and least of all be upset about, whatever we got from our parents was always enough.

Now, it's very different. Children choose friends because of who their parents are or how much money they have displayed by the cars and houses and designer clothes. Our children are more interested in 'having' and owning things as opposed to living a fun life. People are surprised to hear that Musti loves to play out in the garden and not vegetate in front of the TV or the laptop most of the time. Because, the games of old have gone out of fashion now, and children rather meet in a cafe or a mall than a park or someone's backyard. I think they are missing a huge part of growing up and are so not in touch with nature, like we were. But, then every generation thinks how they did things was the right way and so do I.

Will I ever get through to Musti and actually get him motivated enough to study and learn on his own? Have I gone somewhere? Do I indulge him too much? Perhaps. But, slowly and steadily I am noticing a change in him, he is getting used to the idea of sitting with me and not getting away without doing his work. So that's half a battle won I suppose.

I have not been working out in the past week or so! WHY!!!!? is the question and I wouldn't be able to answer that, all I wish for is a treadmill right here in my house!

Comments