Journal entry No.18, 13/Mar/2012




Being a mother is the hardest thing in the world. You just don't know whether what you're doing is right, how strict you ought to be, how much space you must give to the child, how do you instill the right values, how do you teach what matters and what's important?

I struggle with these questions every day and every night. I believe in a rather liberal way of raising my child - not being too harsh on him (how harsh can you be with a 13 year old!) but, I am told that perhaps I'm too indulgent a mother, and maybe that' not far from the truth. I actually think that 'love' and affection will be the best moulder of character, if the child is fostered with love and caring and sense of security he will grow with a healthy sense of self-esteem and confidence. I may not know the ropes of being a parent to the tee, and I go by my instincts - I do what feels and seems right... would I be proven right at the end of the day?

Children have a way of ruling over our lives, of taking control of things and steering things their way or according to their schedule. I of course am not blessed with a teaming house with kids, an only child is more difficult to handle, yet I wouldn't have it any other way, my love for Musti is complete and I am happy.

Life has a way of settling down, taking roots and somehow falling into a pattern. I love the monotony of my days, the predictable routine, the absence of drama. The days go by and I trudge along.

Comments