Allah ki Marzi




Anything and everything that happens to which we cannot attribute a reasonable cause, or do not want to assign one is relegated in a pile which has great popular currency and acceptance - the pile is called "allah ki marzi." If I am unable to do something, if I fail at some venture, if I don't take birth-control measures and get pregnant for the umpteenth time while I have a brigade of little ones to prolong my progeny, if my fridge breaks down, if I lose my job, if I am dejected in love, my favorite consolation line would be that all this is God's Will and all I can do, and must do is to accept it without complaining.

Does this stance give us actual and constructive tools to accept our fate with dignity or does it make us feel totally incompetent or unable to exercise any control over our destinies? Is it a defeatist attitude? or is it a sincere belief in the magnanimity of the Almighty and the futility of our efforts in front of it. Do we want to lean towards such strong determinism because in a way it absolves us of responsibility of our actions and deeds and thus relives us to think, analyse, perhaps even suffer the alternatives.

Is this religious or social? Is it akin to fatalism? Does this mean all our efforts amount to nothing and we are puppets in the hands of Powers that is. I don't know, but I think when we hark the almighty's will for any event in our life or around us, we do so in an attempt to relegate thinking about certain social ills and other problems. If 100 people are killed in a senseless terrorist attack in Karachi on any given day, at the end of it we'l say to ourselves that their deaths were meant to happen this way and they or us could not have done much to prevent the bomb from exploding. This is a neat way of saying we will not go into the intricacies of any problem, it makes us comfortably numb to all that goes around us.

So at the bottom of it all whatever we do or not do is ofcourse Allah ki Marzi!

Comments