When LOVE is not enough....





Is love the only thing that matters in life? I was forced to ponder on this dictum, on seeing several friends of mine "suffering" in the name of love. I feel, we, humans, are cruel and predatory and leave no chance in taking advantage of another, and no where is this seen more than in relationships that 'exist' purely on the basis of LOVE.

I have seen men and women torture each other simply because they are ' in love.' I have been witness of children breaking the hearts of their parents, I have watched mothers curse their children to hell and beyond, I have shockingly looked on as friends have maligned and hurt friends all in friendship and love, I have simply watched in horror the crimes of heart perpetuated in the name of love.

And this then is the reason, that I don't want any more love in my life. What I have been blessed with - the loving care and true affection of my son and good tidings of my family, and concern of my few friends - I am happy with that and it is more than enough for me.

I want none of the 'possessiveness' and 'smothering' that comes with being the significant other in some man's/woman's life, for that means being a slave and a lackey to the insecurities of another - a region totally dark and unknown.

When we love, we become selfish, we want to 'own' the other person simply to impose our will on them, to make them completely subservient to our wishes and whims, we feel loved when another person is immersed and enmeshed in our thoughts, is entangled with our affairs, is totally overwhelmed by us. To us 'love' means a literal conquering of another's heart, we are impressed with tales of 'maddening passion' and love that is legendary like the tales of laila majnun and Paris Helen. We are enamoured by 'romantic' love, the roller-coaster of emotions, the feeling of thrall that another has over us.

What then is true "love"?

Comments