Knowing and unknowing





Do we ever know what we are doing? Do we ever really consider our thoughts and actions? Do we ever consciously gauge all the possible outcomes of what we want or not want? I guess what I'm trying to say is that are we in control of our thoughts, feelings and consequently actions?

I'm not debating the sanity or rationality of all our decisions, I'm not denying responsibility of what we think and do, I'm not advocating fatalism here. All I'm saying is how much control do we have over what we think and do at any given moment? I believe not much. We aren't necessarily the victims of a pre-determined fate merely living out our days as they have been laid down to the smallest detail, no, that's not the point. My contention, that is if I am contending anything in the first place, is this; all through our lives we have shaded views of and why we do what we do. Apart from some very obvious reasons of our actions and thoughts most of our lives are led on chance, on coincidences which is just another way of saying we just don't know why and what's of whatever we do perhaps, if not 100% of the time, I'd say 99%. We go along, no we tumble from one wave to another wave of events which are being propelled by the gravitational pull of chance and nothing else. Ordinarily we percieve ourselves to be in charge of our lives and get very disturbed when things don't work the way we have in our mind decided that they must do.

What I know is this, that I don't know anything...................

Comments