Mrs. In Between




I'm sure you all know of her. Our apparently confident femme fatale of a woman who gives two or, maybe less than even the odd two, hoots about what people think of her (people = you and me = us) and what they say about her. I have always had a soft spot for her, she in a way intrigues and mystifies me, what it is about her that is so other-worldly, that is so celestial, she is there and yet not fully there, as if while talking to you she has seen something larger and madder than whats around her. She is full of plans, plans - that are simply life altering, that would make bring about massive changes, that circle the world in endless search for cities to visit and other countries to settle. Nothing is small about her, everything is huge, big, and larger than life. Her ambitions are high and the zeal to get there even higher.

But then as the name implies she is sort of In-between plans and counter plans, and then some more perpendicular plans. She is firm and resolved and determined and then with the waning of the sun she becomes lost and effusive, somewhat confused, and sometimes withdrawn as though some inner light has told her to stop, to think some more, to ponder over things, to mull over her own stupidities.

Mrs. In between, that is between you and me, seems a bit on the edge. Is she? What is it that occupies her thoughts actually, not the stuff she will talk or write about, but her actual wanderings, whither do they take her? I think she is beautiful, in her eccentricities and moodiness she is honest and herself. Is she happy? Is she sad? well, its hard to know. There are people about whom one can never make a solid concrete statement, all definitions fall rather short, so our subject here is attractive and charming because she is a bit off the beaten track.

I like her strength or is it a show of strength, but then whats the difference really? She is laughing, for I have never seen her cry, and she gets at times all hot and heated, irritated by the silliness of others and is ready to kill! For she has a temper and god plus the devil help those who come in her way (or so she would have us believe of her.)

And, then I know for a fact she has dark and deep secrets hidden and wrapped in her bosom never to see the light of the day. What does she hold within? What are the meanderings and guilty truths that keep her up at night for I have seen her lamp on from the window way into the night. She told me once of her fascination with the moon, how she can talk to it and looks at it for hours as it crosses the midnight sky. She said the moon rules her, her humors are dictated by the rise and fall of the watery star and she is up with moon and down in troughs as the waves it rules.

What of Mr. In-Between? Is there one? I have tried to probe her about the existence or non-existence of the Mr, but all I have gotten so far is a very polite but firm smile which announce that its non of my business. I must confess, in the middle of the night, when I lay awake while sleep deserts me I cannot help but conjure images of the elusive husband of Mrs. In-Between, at times he is all powerful manly figure of Arthurian legends, and at times he is an horrific impersonation of Shelly's Frankenstein. Who is he? and where has he gone off to?

What is her story? For we all have one.

Comments