endless cups of hot tea.............




is my only opiate. It gets me going both literally, and figuratively, it gets me mellow, calm, and still. Not still enough to numb me to my thoughts, but soothed and softened to an extent that I can entertain my thoughts one by one, as one would a series of prestigious guests with due diligence, hospitality, and time. The aroma of tea wafting hot from the cup has that enticing effect on me and my mind, it sugar coats the worrisome, nagging, ever present, stressful ifs, ands, buts, what ifs and slowly transforms them into yes, maybes, might be, OK, and somehow lighten the rock solid heavy mass sitting on my heart. In simple words it lightens the heart, it relaxes the body, and eases the soul.

Tea isn't just a drink, any old drink like pop soda, or juice, or local drinks like lassi, or even alcoholic ones, it is a complete ritual. The making and bringing out of tea, the sitting of the tray or the cup, the stirring in of sugar and milk, the letting of the cup to sit for a bit before taking the first sip and then eventually drinking in slowly to ease off all tension to wash off all tiredness is a an act of affection, its a tradition, a ritual so to say to bring people closer if taken in company, or to reflect and ponder and relax if taken alone.

Comments