The Universe, and I



The universe is large, we don't know where it begins and where it ends. We also don't know how it came about, what and who created it, and whether it was created at all or just happened. The Big bang theory that today best explains the beginning of the universe is also just that a theory. 15 billion years ago from a 'singularity' the known universe was born. Singularity is extremely dense matter, imagine for a moment the whole universe wrapped up in zero volume, and it is heavily dense. For some inexplicable reason around 15 billion years ago this dense matter exploded with a big bang and matter held within that small place started to disperse, and that disbursement of matter is what we call the universe. The explosion was so huge, so massive that a background radiation is still visible today. When matter flew all over the place the temperatures were very high like in thousands of degrees, with time the matter cooled down and stars, galaxies where formed. The universe is still expanding, the stars and galaxies are moving away from each other, and may do so forever.


So the universe is not only large it is getting larger by the minute. Will this continue for eternity? no one knows. In fact there is this possibility that since all the stars and galaxies are moving away from each other, there may come a time when they start to fold back! that is they come closer to each other in a sort of a reverse big bang and end up as a singularity again. There are billions of galaxies in the universe, and billions of stars in those galaxies. The distances between stars are mind boggling, it may take thousands and thousands of earth years to travel to the nearest star Alpha Centauri. Our solar system is a small system of planets around an inconsequential star of the Milky Way, the galaxy we inhabit. Milky Way is shaped as a disc, and our solar system is in one spiral arm of it. We know the universe is expanding, hence Milky Way is hurling through space at stupendous speed, our sun and earth are also being swished forward in a constant race.

When I look at the night sky, sometimes at distant glittering stars and sometimes at the glistening full moon and its shadows, I am full of wonder and awe. How big and huge it all seems, how far and remote, the sky is infinite, the universe is eternal. How do I, a mortal, with a fixed time, and that too a very minuscule time, fit in all this? What do I make of my existence in the face of eternity? Why am I here? What is the significance, if any, of my being born? Why am I born at this time in history and not some other? Is there a purpose behind it all or is just a matter of a chance happening?

The universe evokes a sense of insignificance. Yet, the idea that in all the space and the length of time I came to be is wonderful. I want to know what happens on another say planet or a star or another galaxy. How is it to be on the moon, what does the sky look like from Mars, and what is on Venus? Our moon is solitude, alone, graceful and full of soothing light. I want to feel the solitude of being on the moon, that sense that I am the only one on it. Alone and totally alone. It is my dream to know that aloneness, that pure essence of being by yourself. I always imagine moon to be a serene and a composed place. a place where time itself pauses to reflect upon itself. It has no air, non what so ever, so nothing on its surface ever changes, time does actually stop. I want to see the earth from the moon and the sun, how does the light affect a place as empty as the moon. What makes shadows? I want to go there, I feel I may have lived there once.

Mars? what is to be on the planet named after the roman god of war. It appears red in the sky, and im told the sky on mars is actually red. Mars is ravaged by storms, heavy, spectacular storms that last for years and engulf the whole planet. It isn't going to be a pleasant staying on it. Volcanoes explode and spew lava, and all is in turmoil. But, there was once life on mars, it was like the earth which somehow died.

If we keep travelling farther away towards the edge of our solar system, the sun seems to get smaller and its warmth gets less so much so that from Uranus the sun is just a dot! can u imagine! I want to see that sight.

I feel that once we die, we inhabit another part of this universe, and somewhere deep down in our DNA there are our genes that make us suitable to that new place. Maybe, heaven is another star, far far away. maybe my father is already there waiting for me to join him. Wouldn't that be wonderful, my heaven is another star, where the temperature is just right, mildly chilly, with a soft clean breeze blowing, the time is always twilight with soft diffused light soaking everything in topazy azure. There is a sea which is calm and fragrant, the sky is deep blue, inky almost with a splash of brilliant stars. There are trees of what nature i know not. In this bliss is all.

The Universe is not just there for me to wonder how big and old it is, it is there for me inhale and live all its depths, it is there for me to submerge in its mysteries, it is there for me unfold its hidden facets, it is there for me to explore and engage in, and it is there for me to open my mind and soul to it.

Comments