Journal entry No.10,05/Mar/2012





Managing a hospital isn't easy! there are so many things to be vigilant about as I am finding out. I worked today - one gets a glimpse of the Pakistani psyche in the working world - how do employees behave? what power games they try to play? how they try to pitch one against the other and the most common problem here; of the ghost worker! he is drawing a salary but is never on his seat, hell, never in the office! and mind you he has an excuse for every absence.


It is getting warmer, I keep harping on the weather as though I am at a loss for topics to talk about but it isn't the case. On the contrary, there is lots to discuss, and some very sensitive issues, but am I up to facing them, Na.

Believe it or not, Farhad bought Musti a 52,000 rupee phone! hello! what's he thinking? or is he thinking anything at all? apparently not. The kid has no business keeping such a fancy device, and to top it all hasn't done much to deserve this prize - but I say and do nothing, for it would be to no end - so why waste precious energy.

I did work out though, pat on my back for that and I am gotten back into the vibe of reading - finished Leo the African by Amin maalof, an absolute gem of a book and started two more travelogues :) one about the Byzantine empire and an old manuscript called The Spiritual Meadows written in the 5th century by an orthodox Greek monk. And the other on the Histories of Herodutus written exactly a thousand years earlier than The Spiritual Meadows.

What would it be like to travel for adventure? to visit palces and then write about them? to try and understand other cultures and people by actually living within them and experiencing their ways of life - It seem idyllic, almost dream like, this gypsy kind of existence, this wonderful freedom of movement, this detachment from a particular place and space and time.

I would love to do just that - be a gypsy, and travel the world and seven seas.....

Comments